Wednesday, November 17, 2010

An unfinished story

Many of those who know me, or at least (seem to) have an idea, have asked me to take up to writing. Not an occasional blog here and there or composing poems when I have nothing else to do kind of stuff, you see. More serious stuff like writing novels, fulltime. Sitting in a roadside cafe with a laptop, surviving on sandwiches, coffee, and wifi, and nothing but, or may be with a pet dog at my feet kind of serious stuff. You know, that serious. Well I had a go to test if I had it in me, really - as I was quite unsure. I thought I would start with a short story, since that is the kind I love to read, especially those that have unusual endings. The ones that pretend not to say much but have endless possibilities. So I began to write one morning...

The sea outside was roaring, while it was a lot calmer inland. Winter was setting in. It has been slower than Riana anticipated and milder until now. She got up from her desk and opened the window to let some fresh air in. Cool air rushed in and brushed her face as she closed her eyes. It was mid October. Only nine weeks remained until Christmas.

Much later, I found myself still staring out of the window. Tiny drops of water were trickling down the pane, as it was raining outside. The sky beyond the cobblestone house was a peculiar shade of grey. I wondered to myself - what is the best course of action when I hit a dead end - is it to stop? Is it to retrace and choose the other path, is there any point in pushing the wall or blowing it up with dynamite - there is a reason it is called a 'dead' 'end', isn't there? A tunnel however is a different story - there is light at the end of it and sometimes when I emerge from the other end, the view is spectacular. Or so I thought!
 
Well that was last Christmas I was talking about, you see. I had already hit a wall in my story, from here on it would take some perseverence to climb the wall. But then again, it also has endless possibilities...
 
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License meaning you can share it alike, and the credit goes to me :)

4 comments:

Vineeta said...

Stories with possibilities??!!! Interesting :)

Kayjee said...

yes, an unfinished one almost always has them... :)

Shalmalee.... said...

"with a pet dog at my feet kind of serious stuff", :)))

Btw, i just noticed you have changed the "About me" along with your background...this is lovely of course but i used to love the previous one soooo much!

Kayjee said...

@Shalmalee
Which previous one? For a long time just before this I had nothing on in that section...that one?

btw, one thing that has come out of checking your alphabet challenge everyday is that I end up updating my blog! and I can't wait for K :D