Saturday, November 13, 2010

DU through my parents' eyes

My father had never visited Delhi, while I was studying there. I would often complain "you haven't even seen my college/university building" and he would reply "I know how it looks like, red bricks, with rows of pillars". To that I had no reply. It indeed was made of red bricks and had a row of pillars, like many buildings of higher education in India. But I had always wanted him to visit.

When my parents were in Delhi this autumn, my father made it his mission to visit the university area. My mother volunteered as his tour guide. Together they walked around the campus, clicked pictures on the mobile phone (a trick they have recently mastered) and sent me pictures via MMS! Apparently, they took the metro and got down at the "Vishwavidyalaya" station, had lunch at Nirula's (erstwhile "Coffee House"), loitred around the Vivekananda Statue, walked past Arts and Maths Faculty buildings, walked through Hindu College to take the short-cut to KNags (I don't know if they made it to the other end though). They even went to the extent of visiting Meghdoot Hostel and chatting up with Om Prakash bhaiyyaji!

Today, when I called home, they were telling me stories of what's hot and what's not in the DU campus. I was just listening...

PS. Unfortunately, I don't have the photographs online, I will upload them as soon as I can.

6 comments:

Chandrika Shubham said...

Nice new look of blog. :)
It is nice to read about ur parent's trip to DU. :)

Best wishes. :)

Kayjee said...

thanks for your kind comments :)

Shalmalee.... said...

Awwww...that is such a lovely post!
And i love the new look. FRESH!

Kayjee said...

thank u thank u...

sakhii•• said...

I write every now and then, sometimes in silence, sometimes in pen. I can't when I am happy though, I often digress, writefully so.
THAT IS SOOOO ME :) :D
nice writings!

Kayjee said...

wow, great to find a friend in you in the randomness of blogsphere , when one falls silent - the other can pick up the pen.
thanks sakhii.. for your kind compliment, nice poems on your blog too!