Monday, June 21, 2010

The coal city, my hometown.

The coal city. My hometown.
Here I was born.
And stayed on
For eighteen years.
And made lifelong bonds,
Went back to time and again,
Met and married the love of my life.
Small places,
Court More, Mining School, Steel Gate
Big memories,
Baker Bandh to LC Road
Running around,
In the golf ground
Picnics at the bamboo forest,
The local bazaar on the railway tracks,
The snack seller's hut
Smell of the charcoal fire
Waving at the hurried school kids
And their harried folks
The papaya tree loaded with fruits,
Midday sun and neighbour's yard
Crossing a street or walking a few steps
Running into the fella next door
The daily trip, the journey of a lifetime!
Simple joys. Shared sorrows.
Where I grew up as the town grew on me.
With the last ties loose,
As folks are moving on.
It is and forever will be,
The coal city. My hometown.

4 comments:

Roshmi Sinha said...

Nicely done!

PS: Welcome back... that was a very short break indeed!

Roshmi Sinha said...

A nice read. As they say: Nostalgia is priceless!

RGB said...

It's difficult to let go of the place you've lived in, the best part of your life. You've put it so beautifully, in verses that flow like the gentle waves :)

Kayjee said...

thanks for your kind comments Roshmi and RGB, yeah past few months have been a lot of nostalgia!