Tuesday, March 09, 2010

in sickness and in health

"To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often." - Winston Churchill

I am a married working woman, taking a year off and "working from home". My work involves sitting in front of the computer for eight to ten hours a day, when I am not working I am still sitting in front of the computer eight to ten hours a day (playing Farmville mostly).

My gains - 10 kilos in weight, 4 inches in waist in 3 months, I started feeling unhealthy palpitations and BP shooting up (I could actually feel my blood shooting up my spine) all before I was 30.

My inspiration - my next door neighbour - an old lady in her eighties, she walks down to the local grocery and gets milk and the newspaper, returns home at 9 o' clock like clockwork every day without fail (Yes such people do exist even today!)

My strategy - is simple really, start small and maintain it. I can't do a diet programme that doesn't allow you to have chocolates, I hate going to the gym (I love walking though). I love to cook and to eat. So I wondered is it not possible to not go on a special skimmed milk - no butter kind of diet and still remain healthy and in shape? I hooked myself on to the internet for finding simple solutions that are doable in my dictionary. Here is my list, feel free to keep adding your own.

Simple doable changes towards getting in shape and keeping fit:

Don't skip breakfast. Otherwise the body will 'think' you are starving and start storing fat.
Drink a glass of water before and after every meal. This works indirectly as you feel full and eat less :)
Replace tea/coffee with green tea. Cut down the sugar too if possible.
Have your meals at fixed time everyday.
Have your dinner at least 3 hours before lying down in bed for the night.
Exercise at home in the morning before having breakfast. It burns more fat than any other time of the day.
Take the stairs instead of the elevator whenever you can.
Get down from the bus 1 stop before your destination and walk that extra mile.
Dump that 3 o' clock snack bar and have carrots with salsa instead.

I feel a lot better. Just one last wish before I sign off. Please wish and pray that in circa 2060, I am able to walk down to the nearby grocery and fetch my milk and paper every morning.

1 comment:

Shalmalee.... said...

Awesome...You can do it girl!!!
and i bet you will be even better than the lady next door in 2060...touch wood :))